Saturday, May 9, 2015

Liz Interview Pro GG

http://mangotron.com/pro-vs-anti-gamergate-two-interviews/#comment-934

Pro GamerGate

Liz is a well respected voice within GamerGate. Here’s her interview.
1) What is GameGate to you?
Gamergate is, very plainly, a call for transparency and fairness in journalism. It should be required in every facet of journalism, yet you will see it is enforced less the farther away from main stream media you get. It is impossible to be an unbiased journalist. We don’t expect someone to be unbiased – we are all human, capable of independent thought. We do expect people in positions of influence to put their bias aside in the interest of covering an issue fairly. In the event there is a personal or financial conflict of interest which could call the ability to cover something fairly into question, that should be disclosed.
2) What started GamerGate, in your view?
This is where people tend to get confused. Gamergate did in fact begin with the Zoe Post. A game developer’s ex boyfriend wrote a blog post detailing the end of his relationship, which had indications of being emotionally and mentally abusive. He outlined the infidelity of his girlfriend throughout the course of their relationship. Several of the names included in the post drew attention to a potential conflict of interest in gaming journalism. The issue here, is many people feel this was a reaction to a female developer having sex. In reality, the developer was a character backstory, and we were interested in the plot of the film.
When this was brought to light, two other undisclosed conflicts of interest were exposed at essentially the same point in time (Kotaku’s Patricia Hernandez and Polygon’s Ben Kuchera)
When we, as consumers, began questioning these conflicts, over a dozen articles declaring the “death of gamers” were published within 48 hours of one another, from competing sites, some more vitriolic than others.
Gamergate was described as misogynistic white men, and with the creation of Not Your Shield, sock puppets, by the people we were demanding answers from. What do you do when someone accuses you of something bad? You either admit you were wrong and fix it, or you accuse them of something worse.
3) What does GamerGate want to achieve, in your view?
Very simply, we want to see an ethics policy put into effect, similar to what we’ve seen recently from the Escapist. An article was written a little while ago, and it outlines everything so simply. How do you kill gamergate? 1. Adopt an ethics policy. 2. Adhere to it. I personally would add in 3. Don’t attack your consumers, but that’s just me personally.
4) Do you feel any part of GamerGate is about misogyny or anti-feminism?
I don’t believe the two to be similar. I personal identify as an egalitarian, not a feminist. The thing with Gamergate is you see feminists and non-feminists side by side, demanding ethical changes. What people don’t understand, is “feminism” is not synonymous with “women.” “Non-feminist” is not synonymous with “anti-woman.” Misogyny has become a grossly overused word. Disagreeing with a few women does not mean you hate or stereotype all women.
You will see bad apples in any group, especially one as large as Gamergate. However, the idea that Gamergate as a whole is a misogynistic ,movement is especially absurd, considering we helped to raise more than $70,000 for a feminist group, to aid women entering the gaming industry. The overwhelming majority of us are anti harassment. We call out all ugliness we see, and have reported plenty of “our own” simply because they have no place with us.

I value opposing opinions in life. I like being made to think about things in a different light. That can be done without assassinating anyone’s character. And hugs are nice!

5) Do you feel any part of GamerGate promotes abusive behavior such as trolling and death threats?
We have been seeing many graphic threats aimed at both sides, and I suspect third parties of using the tension as a smokescreen for ugliness and hate. Every time I have seen a threat against either side, I report it, inform others, and they do the same.
For example, a gamergate supporter traced a recent threat against Anita Sarkeesian to a Brazilian blogger, and informed the authorities of his findings. Several nights ago, an anonymous party attempted to release a doxx (private information) of Zoe Quinn on 8chan. Hundreds of Gamergaters spammed the boards on 8chan (which recycle after a certain amount of posts) for hours in the middle of the night, preventing it from happening, until a moderator woke up.
The problem with anonymity on the internet, is anyone can post anything with a hashtag. Anyone can post on an anonymous board and claim to be whatever they choose. I don’t assume my death threats to be from someone anti-gamergate. I assume it to be from sick and twisted individuals.
6) What’s your opinion on the recent articles on gaming sites like Polygon about GamerGate?
I take issue with journalists relaying only one side of a story. Real journalistic integrity is not reporting some facts that support your bias, rather reporting all facts in spite of your bias. I do not want articles that are strictly from the gamergate point of view. I want balanced articles that fairly represent the facts, and interpretations of said facts, on both sides.
7) What else could the articles have mentioned?
I feel this is the same as above. The articles have all represented a single side of a conversation. I don’t like only reading my own opinions thrown back at me. I like reading balanced – and rational – points from all sides.
8) Are there any misconceptions Anti-GamerGate has about GamerGate?
Oh boy, yes! Mainly, that we’re all men, or “sockpuppets.” I’ve had to spend a large amount of time proving I even exist, only to be told I have “internalized misogyny.” I’m not going to lie, I’ve had death threats and vicious harassment, yet that probably hurts the most. I value diversity in opinions above all else – it’s how all great discoveries come to be – and yet I’ve constantly been told my voice is irrelevant because I dare to have an opinion opposite of what others think I should have. The same goes for all the women supporting gamergate. (Although, I’m not going to lie, it makes me a little sad that being male is enough of a reason for people to discount another person’s opinions)
9) Is there any chance of forgiving each other and moving on? We need more love in the world. Can’t we just hug it out?
I wish! While we will continue to fight for ethics in journalism, it would sure be nice to cut out all the rest of the drama. It’s not helping anyone. I value opposing opinions in life. I like being made to think about things in a different light. That can be done without assassinating anyone’s character.
And hugs are nice!
10) If Anti-GamerGate is willing to compromise, what would it take to bring about a resolution?
Changes to ethics policies, and adherence to these policies from the journalists. That’s really it!
I have no issue whatsoever with people who oppose gamergate who are not journalists. I respect and value their opinions, and their rights to freely express these opinions. But not if it involves unfairly attacking another person’s character. That’s not a productive environment for discussion.
11) What’s your message to Anti-GamerGate?
Talk to me. Talk to us. Keep an open mind. I’m not what you think I am. None of us are. You don’t have to agree with us, but you also don’t have to make assumptions about us. We really aren’t as different as you think.
12) If you had a chance to play any game with Anti-GamerGaters, what game would it be and why?
Street Fighter! I have no good or witty reason for this, other than Street Fighter being one of my favorite games.
Liz F – Twitter: @lizzyf620

No comments:

Post a Comment